Friday 17 February 2017

Dealing with members of society

My mum, bless, is a member of society. I recently wrote a comment on a Facebook friends post, a particularly emotional post. I mentioned that she attempt unconditional love. My mum decided to comment on my comment as below.

Ann Watkinson

Your Mum has read this!
LikeMore15 January at 19:34

David Watkinson

Good. Try understanding it. See you in June.
LikeMore15 January at 20:13

Ann Watkinson

Remind me to ask you to explain when I see you in June xx
LikeMoreTuesday at 12:52


Why I need to know that she read my comment is not clear. The use of the exclamation mark is unknown too and never explained.

I state, 'try understanding it'. Which is either an order or suggestion depending upon how you interpret it. Regardless, she has a choice. She can either try or not try.

She goes with not trying. Which is fine. I fully accept that she has a choice to make. I accept whatever choice she makes. It is her choice.

Then she tells me to remind her. No choice given.

She places all responsibility for her 'understanding' on me. I am to explain it to her. Again, no choice given.

That is the difference between a member of society and a human being.

  • Choice
  • Free will
  • Acceptance
  • Accountability
  • Unconditional love
All things that are far easier in a civilisation than a society.

My initial comment was for my Facebook friend to read a Greg Baer book she likes the look of, read my critical thinking blog and this blog. My mother has decided not to bother reading any of my blogs or a Greg Baer book. This is fine, it is her choice how she spends her retirement. However, she 'expects'  me to spend my time working out how to explain unconditional love to her. Something that I have for everyone on the planet. Which I am practising daily. I do need the practice.

So, this is my attempt at explaining unconditional love to my mother. It is when you love someone without conditions. If that isn't clear enough read a Greg Baer book of your choosing and perhaps read this blog, to get an idea of how your eldest son's mind works. Or not. Again, this is entirely your choice.

I have chosen not to remind you. I have chosen not to explain myself (beyond this post) as I do not feel the need to satisfy your need for power over me. You demonstrate this need by the phrasing of your comments, your general attitude and tens of thousands of previous exchanges. I would use the word conversation but that would be asking the word to carry a far higher burden than it was designed for.

Dear mother, you will have plenty of reasons to hand, regarding why I am wrong. You will have a need to spin this, such that you 'prove' that I am not a nice person. That I am not a decent member of society.
You will be correct.

I am not a member of society, I am a flawed human being who is attempting / practicing living in an actual civilisation which essentially means unconditionally loving everyone.

You are more than welcome to join in. However, it is you who will have to put the effort into doing it. Being a member of society was easy, being part of a civilisation is far easier but only if you can break your conditioning. I simply do not have the right to break your conditioning. I can't even 'expect' you to try.

Anyway, you have either put the effort into understanding this post or you haven't.

That comment applies to my mother and everyone else on the planet.

So, how do you deal with members of society when you are not one?  Easy, treat them as if they are flawed human beings because we all are. Far more importantly, love them unconditionally. Some people will make this very challenging. I suggest you spend time with those who make it easy. Until you decide that you need a challenge.

I might be up for a challenge in June, or I might not. I have fully accepted that I am  flawed human being and so is everybody else including my mother. That is just the way it is. Perhaps the journey of life is to become aware of our flaws? To become enlightened beings. (Spoiler alert: it is)

As always you take care. When you have done that, sufficiently, take care of everybody else. Or not. Your choice.



No comments:

Post a Comment